DUP INTERNATIONAL HISTORY
The Daughters of Utah Pioneers was organized April 11, 1901 under the leadership of Annie M. Taylor-Hyde (daughter of LDS Church Leader John Taylor) in Salt Lake City. Forty-six women, all of pioneer decent, gathered at her home for the first meeting. At the meeting she stated that she “ . . .felt deeply impressed with the importance and desirability of the children of pioneers becoming associated together, in some kind of organization which would have for its object the cementing together in the bonds of friendship and love of the descendants" of the early pioneers. The first formal meeting was held September 21, 1901 although the association was not incorporated until April 2, 1925. The constitution of the DUP states that the purpose of the organization is: "to perpetuate the names and achievements of the men, women and children who were the pioneers in founding this commonwealth: by preserving old landmarks, marking historical places, collecting artifacts and histories, establishing a library of historical matter and securing manuscripts, photographs, maps, and all such data as shall aid in perfecting a record of the Utah pioneers."
The DUP is administered by a National Board whose headquarters is located in the Pioneer Memorial Museum at 300 North Main in Salt Lake City. Besides the National Board, the DUP is organized into companies, which have boards that oversee the activities of camps (ten members or more) in a geographic area. In 1990 the DUP consisted of 155 companies overseeing the activities of 1,012 camps in 17 states and Canada with a total living membership of 23,000. The organization has had 63,000 members in its ninety-year history. Membership in the organization is open to any woman who is "over the age of eighteen years, of good character and a lineal or legally adopted descendant of a pioneer ancestor who came to Utah before the completion of the railroad on May 10, 1869.
The National Board sponsors many activities and projects. Over the course of year it has sponsored the publication of historical material, which includes five (5) multi-volume sets of books: Heart Throbs of the West, Treasures of Pioneer History, Our Pioneer Heritage, An Enduring Legacy, and Chronicles of Courage, as well as a Pioneer Songs collection first published in 1932. The DUP preserves landmarks, marks historical places and events, and annually commemorates the arrival of the first company of Utah pioneers into the Salt Lake Valley with a Days of '47 Queen contest and Days of '47 parade. County organizations have published numerous county histories, which in some cases, are the only local histories available and often maintain local relic halls that display pioneer artifacts.
As early as 1903 the Daughters of Utah Pioneers was interested in gathering and displaying relics and artifacts, which they had collected. During this period many items were displayed in various locations throughout Salt Lake City. In 1928 the DUP began an official campaign to raise money for the construction of its own museum. Ground breaking for the museum took place on March 25, 1946. After many complications the museum was finally dedicated in July of 1950. An additional structure known as the carriage house was made possible in 1973 through a donation made by Sara Marie Jensen Van Dyke.